Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Wind - 2012 Training Days 2-5

Training Day 2: 5 miles at 8.5 mph. Again, my brave boy and I went up Leland's Road and back. I found this run a little easier and was really happy with reaching the mph target.

Training Day 3: Another 5 miles, this time at a more leisurely pace and with other horses/riders. It was in the evening as the sun was setting and everyone survived a spook from a pheasant laying in wait. I'm very happy to be hitting the trails again with hubby now that he has Aziim (our 5 year old Egyptian Arabian) out and about.

Training Day 4: 10 miles in new territory. Wind and I, Lynn and Spirit, Pam and Summer and Marci and Sam walked on foot about a 1/4 mile down the road to the local rec area and then mounted up. We did some technical stuff through some beautiful woods, although I must admit woods, especially if there is a lot of ducking of trees is not my favourite place to ride unless the path is wide open. I do recognize though that this kind of exposure is good for me and Wind and it does give me a sense of accomplishment and Wind is very good at responding to my cues in order to navigate difficult areas. We came out of the woods onto cottage roads. After 7 miles, I gave Wind to Troy to do some riding, as I needed a rest and then I did 3 more miles to get us home. I found this ride very challenging and difficult, but I was glad to have the opportunity.

Training Day 5: 5 more solo miles at 6.5 mph. I was going to do another 5, but it was obvious that Wind needed some rest. He is not the typical breed for competitive trail and we need to be cautious that we don't overdo it. He does very well when he is properly conditioned, but we are just starting out and he still has some of his winter coat. So, no more riding for me for the rest of the week. I'm very proud of myself and Wind for having accomplished 33 miles in the last week and we have had a lot of help and encouragement from the Tidal Treasures team. Special shout out to hubby who has been so helpful. Love you more than words can say.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Tammy! You and Wind are a great team. I'm really enjoying being able to see and hear about your training. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items