Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My first ride in the rain!

This evening Lynn and Spirit, Kathleen and Caddy, and Summer and I went for a ride back Leland's road. I brushed Summer down good, she was quite muddy, and then I got her tacked up and ready completely by myself-bit and all! I am still learning and need to ask questions, but I am learning! I have been struggling with the bit, not feeling like I have enough hands sometimes, but no problem tonight. Summer is so good and still, keeping her head low for me!  When we were all ready and heading out, we were nearly to the end of the driveway and Lynn spotted a red cardinal.  I have never seen one like that before. It was beautiful. 

Kathleen and Caddy started to lead us in Leland's road, or Puddle Lane as we like to call it lately, but Caddy wasn't liking it much, so Spirit took over like the pro he is. There were lots of puddles to go through, which are all helping Caddy get over her uncertainty about them. Caddy thought about turning for home after going through that big puddle part way in the road, but Kathleen did not get frustrated, and showed her who was in charge and won that little battle. Just after that, it started to rain, a little at first, and then it rained hard! Lynn thought we should continue in so Caddy didn't think she had won after all, and we agreed that was a good idea.  I have never been riding in the rain before, and I actually quite enjoyed it. Lynn has assured me that I won't always enjoy it as much as I did tonight, "It just slows down my ride", she said to me, and I smiled, because although I have not been riding for long, I understood what she was saying! :).

It was rainy and cool when we got back to the barn, and despite the fact that we were all dripping a bit when we got back, we all agreed that it was still a great ride.

1 comment:

  1. Horses and riders all looked pretty happy even thought they were soaking wet! Congrats on another first for you and Kat!

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items