Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spirit - An Endurance Horse Some Day

SPIRIT - AN ENDURANCE HORSE SOME DAY

Trying to figure out a catchy title for Spirit's story...think I'll stick with the one above till I have time to think of something a little more creative. Today, Tuesday April 17, 2012, we went a total of 9 miles. 8.5 miles at 7.3 mph with 1/4 mile at beginning and end for warm up/cool down. I was planning on three trips up Leland's but only did two - the boy felt tired and I didn't have a heart rate monitor on. Although I must say, he seemed to have a lot more energy going up the 2nd time. I just finished reading about something called "negative splits" (last laps faster than first laps) and how they are considered a good thing when training a horse for endurance. Well, I haven't figured out yet how to set my GPS for "laps" but I did not need a GPS to tell me that the 2nd lap was faster than the 1st lap today...we crawled the first lap and I had to hold him back on the 2nd.

Note: Summer and Pam were with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items