Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Willow, Western

When I heard, "you might try riding Willow Western" my brain must have gone immediately to that pretty bit hanging all lonesome in my tiny tackroom. What Lynn meant was - try riding her Western! So off with this bit for now (when I'm better at one hand, I can give it another try since she didn't mind it and it IS so pretty!) and back she goes into her snaffle.
The Western riding went so well today, I might have had my best rides ever on Willow! She went everywhere I asked her to, and I kept one-handed most of the time. This morning we did mostly transitions, tons of them. And then she did some lunging for more of the same. She's sometimes vocal, actually squealed when cantering once! And then I got back on. There were a couple of times this when I reached out for an open rein to circle her, slowing down. She was so happy trotting around that we did some cantering too. Woohooo! fun, fun, fun!!
This afternoon I went down with Marie and after Ginger finished playing with the Lyon boys I took Willow into the indoor. Another fabulous ride. We hardly walked at all and the cantering we did was on her least favorite side. She was again a dream to ride! We rode in the middle while Mister took to the rail and trotted around cones and cantered. Then we're on the rail, going with Mister, changing to going against Mister, trotting, cantering, going to the different letters - Oh my!! 45 minutes of this and it was so, so much fun!
For awhile now, I'd been feeling too nervous to have fun - some over-thinking, some lack of confidence, some fear, some nothing at all to do with riding. That seems to come for me every once in awhile.
I'm planning on keeping those feelings at bay so I can keep having a freakin' ball riding again!!
This style of riding keeps me more relaxed, it seems. I feel more balanced. She feels happier.





Tried a new bit on Willow today (a curb, she was using a rotary egg-butt snaffle), prepared for her not to like it. She does like to keep me guessing - she took it like a pro and then walked around like a Western Pleasure champ. It's a pretty bit, too - elegant, not too showy, just like her.







I wasn't sure I'd have the softness for it, but she didn't toss her head once. If I can keep my hands gentle enough (no matter what!), we'll work with that. I'll keep her snaffle close by.


Kept the reins loose at the walk and after viewing the video, will keep them longer at the trot! I need lots of practice riding with one hand again and how to stay relaxed and seated well at the trot/jog but am looking forward to it!





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day with Willow today! Glad you relaxed and had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items