Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wind

Training Day 9: 5 miles on Leland's with Lynn and Kathleen on Spirit and Summer. Cantering has been an issue for me since last summer, when Wind put his head down and I foolishly did not let the reins go and ended up over his head and on the ground. From that point on, every time I would feel even the slightest hint of a canter, I would put a stop to it, fearful that I may fall again. Finally, almost a year later I managed to breathe through the first awful seconds with my heart in my throat and cantered him uphill. This was going well until in Stanley, he went into the canter on flat ground, which I managed to work out just before he decided to jump a puddle, at which point I almost fell again, but managed to grab whatever I could to hold myself in that saddle, even if it was a bit sideways. So, here I am again. On training day 9, I did manage a canter uphill, albeit maybe not so graceful,  but I can't say I'm really comfortable with the whole thing. It is something I know I must overcome, even if only for my own safety. Wind, endurance and cantering do not go well together because if he canters too much, it would be a lot harder to get his heart rate down, so that is not the goal. A few minutes of cantering would not be bad and I need to be prepared to handle it if he does break into one. There is always a challenge to face, but really that is what I love about riding. There is always something to challenge you and when you manage to face that challenge and your fear and overcome it, it reminds you just how strong you are and what you are able to accomplish if only you stick with it and keep trying. I went out again with Kathleen and Shelley on Caddy and Spirit, but more of a leisurely go this time. It was such a beautiful evening.

Training Day 10: Back to Stanley again with Lynn and Pam for another 15 mile training run. The first 5 were a bit hairy. I let my emotions get the best of me and almost managed to convince myself that I just was not ready for this. Maybe I should spend another season riding on the Sundays.....WHAT?? No way, you did not come this far to throw in the towel now. Breathe! Last 10 miles were much better. I concentrated on keeping him off Spirit's bum and we trotted in intervals, first for a 1/2 mile, then 3/4 mile and then 1 mile intervals unless the ground was tricky and we went back to 1/2 mile intervals. It worked so well and our average at 6.7 mph was well within range to complete the 30 miles in more than enough time. We are getting so close to that day, only a week and a half left. If I can remember to breathe through the first 5 miles and just deal with it..AKA...put your big girl panties on, then hopefully things will settle in so that I can make it to halfway, where I will get a bit of a rest and try to convince myself to get back on and do another 15 :) I'm so fortunate to have the wisdom and guidance of those who have gone before me and I'm learning so much about me and about Wind. A few more short runs to go and then it is time to let Wind rest up for the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items