Thursday, May 3, 2012

Aziim 3

This week I thought that if I wanted to ride Aziim (and I DO!- especially through the week) that I better start getting on him. So today after school, Marie & I went down - her for Mister and me for Aziim. She helped me with the gate - he met me part way and putting on his halter went really well. Paris did pretty well understanding that she was not coming with us. I tell her "back, Paris! get back!" and she says "oh, OK then." Aziim got a treat once we got outside the gate. Paris got one later.
Took him in the indoor to do his feet and Marie held his head for me, just in case. He did very well, especially when I dug out quite a big stick from his off hind hoof.- wedged between the start of his frog to the front of his shoe.
Then I put his saddle pad on which made him scoot away (Marie is with Mister now). I've seen him saddled tons of times and never seen him scoot away. Turkey! So I threw it on him for a bit until he stood still and then got the saddle on. Took a look and isn't it crooked. Called Marie back in to hold him while I fixed that. Saddle now looks great. Bridle is next - no problem.
Attached the bit to bridle and asked him to take it. He said "uh, no thanks, Missy". Tried again and when he tossed his head I dropped the bit and it hit him in the head. "oops, sorry Aziim" I said. Secretly, I was not too bothered, figured he shouldn't have tossed his head and maybe next time he wouldn't since he didn't find that too pleasant. Nope. Tossed his head again, again it hit him. Gosh. Surely he won't do that again. Not for a third time. I can't let him tell me "no bit"!! I talked to him, scrubbed his neck, put a treat in my palm, even got my finger/thumb along his bars to open his mouth, which he did with no problem - everything to keep him from tossing his head up at the last minute and hitting himself in the head. 'Cause now I'm worried that I'm going to make him worse and T&T won't really care for that! Deep breath, one more try, get the bit oh-so-close,  bonks himself in the head one last time. We look at each other and I'm feeling bad for him - he never moved his feet through all of that. Just that handsome head.
It's getting pretty warm in the indoor. I know I can't leave it like that but I can't let him keep hitting himself with that bit. So I leave it for today and untack him. Then he has to do 20 laps counter clockwise - it was supposed to be thirty but I was too freakin' hot and Marie and Mister were waiting for me. The pressure. I hoped that if it was hot for me - it was hot for him too.
Then we went with Marie & Mister to the outdoor and I brushed him while they rode. Brushed him all over while playing music for us on the iPod, which he didn't really get at first. I have no Kenny Rogers, but it turns out that he also likes Trisha Yearwood. We also walked around a bit, lunging on the short line for a bit, trotted beside me for a bit and in between I took him for grass breaks. Even when he walks "all Arabian - springy" the lead is soft and he comes with me - good boy!
Good day for me and Aziim. Will be even better when I master "bitting Aziim 101".

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, it's a good thing he's cute. Not hard to tell where Marie gets her patience from.

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items