Monday, May 14, 2012

Cantering Caddy!

Well in my last post I ended by saying that once me and Caddy get started, we arent slowing down-well we got started tonight and let me tell ya we didn't slow down!

Lynn and Spirit, Mom and Summer, and me and Caddy were planning to go on a nice slow and steady trail ride, with a bit of trotting, but we were trottong along and then Summer and Spirit who were ahead of me and Caddy, went up into a canter and then Caddy went up into a canter like it was nothing! I gave her her head and took all my leg pressure off and let her go as far as she wanted to and her canter was sooo smooth! Ive been waiting for this moment for a really long time. Lynn always told me that it would come naturally and she would go into it naturally when she was ready, and that it would be enjoyable, and she was right! At the end of the road we let the horses eat grass.. I was so happy it brought tears to my eyes. On the way back Caddy led the way and went through the puddles like it was nothing. We trotted up a little hill when we were still in the lead, and then I let Lynn take over the front. Then we came to a bigger hill. Lynn started off at a trott, and then she went up into a canter,a nd Caddy did too. This time she went into a fast canter. It was really comfortable and smooth until she went into race horse mode, and I said to Lynn that maybe she should come down now, and she said "I'm trying". She started pacing not just a little lazy pace, but a race horse pace. SHe pinned her ears back and made up her mind that she was going to pass Spirit no matter what. She paced on past him like it was nothin and then she was gone! We flew!  When we finally came down it took a couple of minutes to get her down she didnt give me any arguing the whole ride. She didnt try to turn around even when we stopped, she went through the puddles she was bomb proof.

Back at the barn Lynn told me that she was going to need to get a rearview mirror to keep an eye on me and Caddy. I said "Well you're gonna get a rear view, but you won't need a mirror to see it!" Gary smiled and said "Yes she'll probably need a dust mask."

It was an awesome ride! It was the ride Ive been waiting for!

2 comments:

  1. "Rear view mirror" and "dust mask" - too funny, I'm still smiling! Fantastic update!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHoo!! that must have been AWESOME!! Way to go you two! Lynn, I think you have some serious compitition here!

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items