Monday, June 4, 2012

Lynn to the Rescue!

Well tonight Lynn thought she would take Spirit and I to the outdoor arena and give me a lesson on 2 point. Spirit has had a bit of a sore back lately, and so Lynn wisely decided that from now on when he was being ridden, his girth would not be quite as tight as we had been doing it. We got out, and up I went into the saddle.

 Spirit was being slightly difficult with me, going into a trot before I asked for it, and then trying to tell me where we were going instead of going where I was trying to tell him to (he was really just trying to figure out what I wanted)-and so I was making him work a bit, doing circles hoping he would realize that doing what I was asking would be easier! But then that boy thought, "OK you want a circle?" and before I knew it he was trotting a circle that was quite small, and when he stopped I was still in the saddle, but I was hanging off his side! Well I really was shocked hanging there off his side-wondering how did  this happened? I mean, I LOVE hanging around at the barn-but this was not what I had in mind!

 As I hung there, I looked to my security zone-the one who always makes me feel confident and safe-I looked to Lynn. She was standing wrapped in my sweater-freezing, looking right back at me. I think we both realized at the same time that I was not going to be able to recover gracefully on my own, and then we both had that wide eyed look when that realization hit, and said "OH!" in unison. Well I haven't seen Lynn move that fast EVER! I sure am glad she has been jogging lately. She ran full speed ahead, arms pumping at her side with my sweater flying behind her like a superheros cape, and was beside me before I knew it! She reached up and grabbed me-we both agree we don't know what limb she pulled on, but she did, and I was upright again before I even had time to realize that maybe I should have been a little scared in that position-helpless to right myself!

Yes I had forgotten that the girth was a bit loose tonight, and I obviously didn't have enough weight in my outside leg, but I did end up having a great lesson on 2 point and rein control, and even tried a nice little controlled canter (which I thought went OK until Kathleen tried and showed me how it was really done). 

Lynn and I both had a good laugh afterwards, as it all ended well (thanks to Lynn)! I have been replaying it in my head all evening, and can see the look on her face when she realized I was in trouble and then running to me-I just start laughing out loud, and I think my family thinks I've lost my mind~ Thanks again  Lynn, oh and when do you want to try that again?  I'm ready! :)

2 comments:

  1. That was quite an exciting adventure! Good for you for sliding back up there. Would also like to have seen Spirit's face as he stood there waiting for you two to "fix it" - that's a great horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very good and didn't move a muscle! I had said to Lynn if he had-I'd have been on the ground for sure. What a good boy!

      Delete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items