Sunday, June 24, 2012

20 Seconds of Insane Courage

WOW is about the only word, but even that doesn't come close. I have been blocked for way too long when it comes to Wind's canter. From previous posts, some of you will know that I fell off him at the canter..it's been so long now I don't even remember when, that's how blocked I've been and then when I finally did manage to go into one, I nearly fell again and on top of all that Wind has a huge round to the point of it feeling like he is going to buck. The trick is sitting through that...aka 20 seconds of courage...until he levels out into this amazingly beautiful canter. Today was the day and boy do I have a perma-smile. Thanks to Shelley who rode and cantered Wind last weekend and was able to feel exactly what I was talking about and sit through, was amazingly encouraging, right there behind me telling me to stick with it, he will bring his head back up. I took a deep breath and off we went. We cantered up hill, we cantered the straight away, we even cantered in the rain. Thanks to Troy and Shelley, I knew that he wasn't bucking and thanks to Shelley for the play by play behind me letting me know it was all all right. Please let me find that 20 seconds of courage again next week for the 25 mile ride in PEI. What a sense of freedom. Me and my boy just going for it. I'm so happy!!!!

6 comments:

  1. We all knew you had it in you! So glad you trusted youself and sweet Wind, found that courage, and rode that canter like you've been doing it forever! It was a great moment, and I'm so happy to have been there! I told Todd on the way home my throat felt a bit raw, I havn't hollered and cheered like that for a while! Still smiling! Congrats again. :) and courage is there for PEI/ you just have to let it come out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with you right there with me again, I know we can find it together.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks so much :) I hope day 1 of the new digs is going smoothly.

      Delete
  3. This was a quote I saw today on Facebook from Buck Brannaman and thought how fitting it was.

    "It's a process and it's a matter of understanding the horse and through any of these little projects you have a beginning, a middle and an end. And if you made up your mind early when he's still scared, you'd think that wasn't working at all. Sometimes it might get darker, before it gets dawn. You might have to work at it a little bit in order for it to come out the other side." - Buck Brannaman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO happy you found your canter! I knew you would!!

      Delete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items