Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Who's Boss?

The most facinating half hour watching Mister & Willow. After supper they went inside to eat hay (two piles) and I was in the next building making up their breakfast dishes. I heard a lot of hoof-stomping and Willow sqealing. That's not unusual. But then I saw her run out with him following, her squealing the whole time - he yelled at her and turned to kick at her. His mouth was wide open and the sound was hard to describe - not a squeal, not a grunt - really looked like he was yelling at her. The vocalization from Mister IS unusual! He chased her right outside and when she came in again, he chased her right out. He stood over one and ate from the other. She waited two full minutes, very quietly, outside in the rain before trying again. I guess she still wasn't polite enough 'cause out she runs again - all I could see was a flick of her tail, otherwise she looked pretty polite - not good enough. He made her wait so long that she closed her eyes, but wasn't sleeping 'cause when he pushed his nose in her direction she tucked hers in. Must have been 7-8 times.
I couldn't make out the signal he gave but he let her to eat as long as she backed off when he pinned his ears. I can't be sure but I think it started when she pushed by him at the gate to get supper even though she knows hes' first.
My vantage point was the most uncomfortable spot, too. Right beside the new compost pile that doesn't smell nice. Yuck. I was there for half an hour, blech!!
Six months ago I would have made a vain attempt to "fix it" by putting a flake outside. I've learned. I could (and have) put out five and she doesn't eat til he says so. Awesome.
My goal in watching them is to have the same effect on her that he has - she was all calm & sweet & soft when it was all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items