Sunday, May 26, 2013

TRAINING PAM

As you know, I have been training up my little boy – Tiki, and everyone is quite interested in how our progress is, so, I get a lot of “and how is Tiki’s training going?” to which I answer proudly, “very well thank you.”  I am so very glad that no one has asked how my training is going, because it is a little rough around the edges – well, OK... quite rough.

Although, there really isn’t any reason to speak of ... I am merely a 54 year old woman who has a 4 year old ARAB!  I mean – heck – I have been riding for practically 10 years now, and he is my second horse, not my first... I mean – this should be a walk in the park – right!?!?     (Major sarcasm here folks!)
WHAT WAS I THINKING!

The ground looks a lot harder now, and I know these old bones don’t bounce the way young one’s do ... so fear has managed to creep in.

I really don’t understand it. I was fearless as a child. I was a certified SCUBA diver by the time I was 16, tried skydiving when I was in college, owned 3 motorcycles before I ever owned a car, have tried wind surfing, kite boarding and I just learned to surf this year. This feeling of fear is new to me and I don’t like it one little bit! And, I am NOT dealing with it very well either! - which of course gets me frustrated and angry – two other emotions that really help when you are on the back of a young Arab!! - NOT!

But, it is there sometimes, and it crept in yesterday when I was riding Tiki in the indoor arena, with a few friends watching our progress. He wasn’t being stupid or bad – he just kept popping into a trot from the walk without being asked.  I wasn’t even close to being unseated, and I wasn’t afraid of falling off – so where did this fear come from? I don’t know, but it crawled up my back like a cold shiver – and the more I tried to relax and sit deep in the saddle – the more I tensed up. So I got off to walk it out and calm my jangled nerves. I so hate this!
That is when Max got on Tiki. Just to try him out – not to reprimand him or correct him, just to see where he was at. Tiki has known a rider before – but what I found out, was that Tiki is at grade 5 or 6, not 2. Max and Tiki walked, trotted and cantered around that indoor like there was no tomorrow. Max rode with ease and kindness – and Tiki rode calmly and willingly. What an absolutely beautiful sight. It was truly inspiring – and I could see myself up there, riding Tiki – seeing the wide open trail on the back of my horse. I SO want to do a 50 – many 50s even. I love to ride. I love to ride more than I fear – what ever it is I fear ... so when Max got off, I got on, and I walked and I trotted around that indoor - and the fear left as quickly as it had come.

Thank you Max, for showing me how to ride my horse, and thank you Lynn, Troy and Tammy – who pushed and supported me through this hurtle. Without you, I would not have made it through. Will I have more hurdles to overcome – you bet I will – but with the encouragement and support you give me – how can I possible fail. THANK YOU – from the bottom of my heart - for keeping me on the road to my dream.   Pam

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Perfect to have Max there to jump on for much appreciated inspiration - I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items