Sunday, May 26, 2013

Paris' Perspective on a Windy Day in May


























 Khol, Penney and I are alone in one of the big paddocks these days.  Today it was extremely windy and very ominous outside.  "Something" was in the air and we were scared for our lives.  We are just too  young to be left alone in these conditions - Seriously, our combined age is only 9.  There was some freakin scary smells in that wind - we were really craving a dose of adult supervision.  Gotta talk to management about this.  We were bucking and rearing and cantering and very jittery.  THEN, Max and Ducky go galloping by.  Ducky was flying... I timed them myself at around 24 mph - up the hill in a headwind.  Well, that's all I needed to see, I was darn near jumping out of my skin/hair/fur.

Just about that time, I looked up and Lynn was walking down the driveway towards me with my halter.  Thank goodness.  I can always count on Lynn to save me.  I went right to the gate; couldn't wait for her to gather me up and take me into the safety of the barn.

I tried my best to be "calm" as she walked me up the hill towards safety.  I was soo thankful but still pretty jittery.  We went into the barn and it was so lovely and quiet (relatively).  Lynn put me in cross ties. and that's when I saw it...  my SADDLE?  Is she nuts?????!!!!!!

After saddling me, she led me down to the outdoor. It was monsoon winds down there.  Lynn decided we needed to go to the corner overlooking the freakin ocean - the big windy ocean - and the water had big monsters in it lurching back and forth towards me, and the trees - were trying to run away they were so scared, but their roots wouldn't let them.  It was Nightmare on Farm Street. I did not want to go to that corner and I let her know it.  She planted me right in the corner and waited for me to eat some grass that had grown up in the corner.  Now, I am known for my stomach but a girl cannot be thinking of food at a time like this.  I was on full alert.  There are giraffes in Africa with heads lower than mine was....safety first I always say.

At about this time, as I am teetering on the verge of a nervous breakdown, ..this LOUD, scary grass eating machine comes into my sight....and I can't quite figure out exactly what it is I'm looking at but I'm pretty sure the machine was EATING Gary...right before my eyes.  I was so scared, I didn't even dare blink.  I was #$#@# transfixed by the sight before my eyes.  A few minutes of this went by and THEN....HOLY SHIT ###@, *&^((##& .PAM AND TIKI  CREPT UP BEHIND ME.  I LOST it.  I went running.  Yes, Lynn was still attached.  No, I did not mean to drag her across the sand and almost tear her arm out, but I lost it.  We had to get outta Dodge NOW.

Once we were out of the scary corner, I let Lynn take over again.  Sort of.  She led me towards the centre of the arena and was about to get up on the mounting block.  Is this woman out of her mind?  Then,....she changed her mind.   Sweet Lawd, the woman was coming to her senses.  She walked me over to the gate, through the gate, and we headed back towards the barn.  Oh I thanked my lucky stars that this ordeal was over.  When I saw the barn getting closer, I sighed a big sigh of relief.  When we walked into the barn, I darn near kissed the floor with my muzzle.

Lynn walked me down the sweet, quiet aisle way.  Then she turned me around.  Then, (oh I still cringe when I think of what happened next)...she grabbed her BIG STICK (maybe it's not really that big but it looks big to me), and she walked me right back out of that barn, back down the drive way, (while I outright OBJECTED) into the outdoor arena, and then she got on my back. She gave me a squeeze (kick) and pointed me right to the scary ocean corner.  Seriously?  I think not - I said.  Ouch, I said....she hit me with that darn stick...OK I said one step. Ouch I said. OK I said two steps and that's it.  Ouch, Ouch I said. OK OK.  BUT I DON"T LIKE THIS.

We spend 1/2 an hour going one or two steps (with STICK encouragement), stopping, stopping , waiting, waiting, then another step or two.....repeat process til my nerves were fried.  We finally got around that darn corner.  We went around the arena, and didn't she point me right towards that corner again.  Well, I think my fried brain just went limp, because I barely even gave an opinion.  By the 4th or 5th loop I decided that the corner wasn't so bad after all.  BUT NOW THOSE WHITE CHAIRS BY THE GATE WERE ALIVE AND GOING TO EAT ME!!!!

This went on for about an hour and a half....we went 1.25 miles..in an hour and a half and I was exhausted.  Pam finally opened the gate.   Lynn was still on my back.  I wanted to go to the barn sooooo sooooo bad, but those darn chairs were between me and the barn.  Lynn just pointed me towards the barn and let me ponder the situation.  (She can really be mean sometimes).  I sucked up every ounce of courage I have ever had in all my five years on this earth.  I noticed that while the chairs were alive, they did not seem to be in an "eating" mood, and so I very c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y walked through the chairs.  I held my breath the entire time.  My feet barely touched the ground but I DID IT!!!! WOW!!!  I WALKED THROUGH THE WIND..PAST THE CHAIRS, AND THEN PAST ONE HORSE TRAILER AND THEN THE OTHER ...RIGHT TO THE BARN.  I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF!!!!!!

Lynn got off and walked me into the indoor riding arena - it was a little noisy in there - nothing like outside though.  Wind was in there being ridden by Troy.  That big ol gelding looked scared...of what?!  He had noooo idea of the hell I had just been through, out there in the REAL world.  Honestly, geldings....don't even get me started.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items