Thursday, October 11, 2012

My first JP ride-Shelley and Spirit

 I had the wonderful opportunity this past weekend to ride in my first JP ride. I really didn't know that I would like all that came with this type of ride-being judged on how clean the horse is - clean tack-boots- and then to be judged on how you get on the horse-trot out-make sure the lead line has some slack in it-don't turn the horse towards you..so much to remember and think about-YIKES!  I really just wanted to get in that saddle and ride! Lynn and Spirit had an amazing 35 mile ride, finishing 4th and being awarded BC, (yeah Lynn!) and following supper and the awards ceremony that evening, there I was cleaning the remnants of the day off of Lynn's tack in an attempt to be ready for the JP the following morning.

It was a wet and muddy weekend, so there was lots of cleaning to be done, but thanks to my Mom-cleaning is something I know how to do! The more I scrubbed, the more I felt a bit more at ease for what was to come the following morning. Another added stress was that Lynn registered nice and early for this ride, so Spirit and I would be #1 the next day for judging! WHAT??? I can't stand back and watch a few others go through the process first?? That is what I do...that is how I learn...that is what eases my mind and gives me a bit more time to convince myself that I can do this!

Well I cleaned that tack (Todd and Kathleen did do a bit of scrubbing too, but when they were not looking I inspected their work and did a few touch ups-I appreciated their help, but I wasn't loosing any points unnecessarily) I scrubbed like there was no tomorrow. You see earlier in the day Todd disappeared to help when an emergency came up, and that caused a bit of stress on our end -thankfully for everyone, it all came together in the end-but let me tell you that stress from the day fueled my scrubbing power~so really he was more help than maybe he realized!

 Once the tack was done I turned my attention to Spirit. I love the way Troy described it in his blog-it was a great perspective and made me laugh-and in the end despite all the scrubbing, Spirit had lots of fur left that was beautiful and clean! Lynn said she didn't think he had ever been so clean!  That too made me laugh!

I slept pretty good, got up early and started out on giving every detail another going over in an attempt to be sure I had not missed anything. And then we were up--#1 to see the judge. Dawn was very nice, Spirit an old pro, didn't miss a beat, and then that part was over-not so bad at all!



Next came tacking up and getting ready to mount in front of the judge-again nerves kicked in-but Spirit was as sweet and still as could be-that part was over-not so bad at all!

Then we sat and waited for our countdown to head out...and we were off! Even after 35 miles the day before, Spirit was feeling great and ready to go! I will never be able to express with words the beauty of the ride-but I can tell you a few things that stood out for me-puddles-big ones (they were fun!) , the colors of Fall everywhere-how beautiful (a first for me, riding in the beauty of the fall), tagging along with a few others at different points in the ride, and getting to chat a bit between trots (I love hearing the stories of others and their horses-how they got started...), and bear poop fresh in the middle of the road (no one told me I might see a bear when they assured me I was fine to head out on this ride alone! lol when I mentioned it later to Lynn she laughed and said, "Well we can't think of everything!") I really liked Betty's bear bells and have decided to get a set for the saddle and a set for Todd. (sorry Todd I couldn't help myself), riding along the train tracks with the river running beside you-wow how beautiful was that-and going through the river on horseback, stopping in the middle and just taking it all in as the water flowed around us-definitely a highlight for me.

Todd and Betty-hope he is asking where she got her bear bells!


When I reached half way, I think I scared Kathleen half to death when she came up to give Spirit a rub. I told her to step back in a frantic voice,-I was afraid the judge might see and think I was getting help! After all the work so far, I didn't want to risk loosing any points for something like that! She smiled and stepped back, although I know she was thinking I had lost my mind! I was determined to do my best and not have help that I should not have had.

Kathleen staying and Marie standing away from Spirit and I-HAHA


 
Spirit and I set off when our time was up to finish the last part of our ride together.  Once we hit the road leading back to the camp where the finish was, we cantered a nice stretch (loved that!).  We then finished the last little stretch of the ride alone -just Spirit and I.  I enjoyed that quiet time, peaceful-it is really indescribable-but I loved it.




Once we were back, I had 30 minutes to clean that poor boy one more time before presenting him again to the judge. He returned to find that his buddies were not there, (Wind and Willow were out completing the ride with Tammy and Carrilee), there was no one around, as they were out at the half way stop. He was a bit concerned at first, but we had a quiet chat-some quiet moments,and when I knew he was at ease out came the water and sponges for round 2! I worked till I had only 3 minutes left, and then up we went-and what a handsome boy he was. Again he was a true sweetheart when we saw the judge, again he didn't miss a beat, and before I realized-WE WERE DONE! "Good job," she said, "Now go and relax!"

Tammy and Wind-the pros!

Carrilee and Willow-their first JP ride-but I'm sure it won't be their last!

Yeah-it was hard not to smile that day!


There was no one around to high five or share in the fact that I was done other than Spirit, and it was fitting really-  we celebrated with an apple for each of us, and when I finally stopped going full tilt ahead I stopped to realize that-wow, we had finished an absolutely beautiful ride-a JP at that-well imagine that-what was I so nervous about? You have to do it all yourself for this ride you know,-and what a feeling to know that you have when you are finished! It was a confidence booster and a great learning experience.  I really enjoyed the JP ride and all that came with it after all-huh, who knew!


It is now safe for Kathleen to touch Spirit again-look at that clean boy!




Well the scrubbing paid off, and Spirit placed 1st for Trail horse, and to my surprise I placed 2nd for rider ( I am not sure what it was called really). Oh and I have to mention that one of the prizes I got was a beautiful halter-my very own 1st piece of tack! (that was exciting for me too)


I love this boy-he is good to me.

 It was another day that I will store in my memory for years to come, a day I will reflect on often with a smile-a day I will not soon forget!

Thank you Betty, Eric, Margret and all the other volunteers who made this weekend so enjoyable!







5 comments:

  1. Awesome Shel! I rode the whole thing with while reading, just as you discribed it. I look forward to the day when we can ride that race together. Won't that be fun! Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Carrilee-Congrats to you and Willow also! Wasn't it a great day!

      Delete
  3. Good job Shelley. I'm glad you had such a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items