Monday, October 8, 2012


Maple Ridge - What a weekend

Where to begin? Eric and Betty, thank you for a simply fantastic weekend, you were, as you always are, marvelous hosts with every detail accounted for.   I am not exaggerating when I say the trails were marked to absolute perfection, the food was divine,  all of the volunteers were so helpful and completely coordinated, Dawn was educational and very insightful and of course there is the one person who has, time after time, made these rides possible, Dr. Liane Nelson.  I am not sure where ACTRA found her, but I am so glad they did.

Tidal Treasures marked more than one first this weekend and there are, rightfully so, some pretty proud riders.  We had a first ACTRA ride, new speed record, a first JP, first mentoring ride, first horse on rider episode, first long distance horse recovery and of course a first BC.  I am very proud to be a part of our little group and will expand on the horse and rider accomplishments of the weekend, but first I think it is important to mention a couple of things not related to the ride. 

Kethleen and Marie were little troopers this weekend, although they both wanted to ride more than anything and knew that they would not have the chance, they did not complain or mope around, instead they stayed focused, helped everywhere they could and significantly contributed to the teams success.  These young ladies are so in tune with the team concept, it is hard not to be proud of them.

Todd was needed to assist with a runaway horse situation and without debating the requirements of the riders he was pitting for, dropped everything and went to help (for which he took a lot of ribbing).  The absolute right decision, he reinforces the general attitude at Tidal Treasures that, "the biggest winners are total losers if they don't do the right thing".  We are all very lucky, in that if we are not sure what the moral or ethical thing to do is, we very simply have to ask ourselves, "What would Gary do".  A prime example of "doing the Gary thing" Todd done did good.

For those of you who have been following along, how excited are you for Carrilee and Willow.  This little firecracker did it!  A lot of, "I am not sure I can", "I don't think I'm ready" and the marvel of other quotes washed away one fell swoop.  Completing her first 15 mile JP may not seem like a big deal to some, but let me tell you, it was a big deal and she did it in fine form, with the icing on the cake being a placing at the awards ceremony.  A foot now firmly in the door of ACTRA, I look forward to following the adventurous road ahead of this dynamic duo and clearly the sky is the limit.

Tammy and Wind, "the mentoring ride".  We are learning that Lynn cannot be there to walk every one of us through our "first time" every time so after 2 years of placing in every JP they entered it only seemed appropriate that Tammy and Wind mentor Carrilee and Willow for their first attempt.  Emotions where high, (understatement) and nerves abundantly obvious, but off they went and a day later here we are and everyone is just fine.  The one who had to be reminded to breathe not so many blogs ago, coaching the one who was convinced she wouldn't be able to complete, yet another proud moment.

Shelley and Spirit, "one is a lonely number".  The morning begins the night before with a team of scrubbers and cleaners trying to wash away the adventures of Lynn's Saturday ride.  Then the rise of the dawn (twangy music plays in the background),  she was alone and frankly, I was scared she was going to wash the hair off Spirit, more water, sponge, more water, cloth and I am fairly certain Spirit has never been that clean.  Here she goes, she is number one on the list and she is going out alone for her first JP, excited, maybe just a bit.  Spirit, a perfect  gentlemen, stands confident and quiet while she mounts and it is time.  Off they go for a fast and fun ride that places both horse and rider at the awards ceremony, with first in trail horse. 

That sums up the JP, all of the ladies placed and many "first times" left smiles all around.

Now the LD, That was me and Lynn, I started out on Wind, chasing Lynn and Spirit, but after mile 18 it was obvious that I was not going to be able to stay with her without over exerting Wind and that was not an option so Sylvia let me pull the big lug in behind her and Quincy to walk into the halfway point where I gave Wind an extended break and then off we went for a bit of circle training to get out the gate on the second half.  He was not pleased about the swing bridge and thought it might be a good idea for him to ride me across, but needless to say that didn't go well and I have the cuts and bruises to prove it.  Fortunately, Russlynn and Donna Lee were there to babysit me back to the finish line where I finished with a respectable 6 point something mile an hour average.  I was proud of myself, but to be honest, more for not crying in front of the ladies than for finishing.

So where was Lynn during all of this?  Flying to the finish on Spirit is where.  Finishing in 4th with an average of 8.75 miles/hour and setting a new barn speed record for competition speed.  An awesome accomplishment it pales in comparison to the award she would receive next.  Tidal Treasures is very committed to the health and well-being of our equine partners and that charge is clearly championed by Lynn.  She has spent countless hours  educating herself on how to best care for the horses and has laid down some pretty strict guidelines as to what she will and will not accept  as common practice in her barn and there is no question, she has learned well.  It is because she is so committed to this aspect of the competition that the proudest moment of the weekend was her Best Condition award for the LD.  One award among a long list for the Tidal Treasures family, but an award that stands independently above all the other accomplishments.

Well done little sister, we are proud of you!

3 comments:

  1. Many times I have asked myself what I did right in my life to deserve all of this...I'm not sure, but I am sure that whatever it was, I'm glad I did it. I'm proud of all of you and myself for all of our various accomplishments that we all work together to get done. It's only fair I feel after such a wonderful account of our amazing weekend to say a big thank you to my husband and head wrangler of Tidal Treasures, who with a pretty good injury, which thank goodness was not more serious as it very well could have been, was still such a trooper and there in every way as he always is. You are my center, my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you summed up the weekend so well! I especially love the "what would Gary do?" part, oh my! Tears and agreement! It's so incredible to be sharing all of this, riding was a bonus. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very well written and expresses how we felt to a T! I love the "twangy music plays in the background" comment, and of course the "What would Gary do?" Our Tidal Treasure team really does work well together. I love how we all look out for each other, offer a hand, an ear, a shoulder-whatever is needed, and then can share in the accomplishments of each other. EVERYONE should be proud of how we pulled together for each other, and for the wonderful weekend experienced by all-cuts, bruises, lost keys-missing team members and all-what a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items