Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Endurance in THREE Weeks!

Was planning on riding spirit tonight but got caught in traffic and didnt get home till after 6:30 so I figured I can't go back Leland's tonight, sunset is at 7:10pm. Then I thought, wait a minute, you have a helmet light sitting on your dresser gathering dust....never used...and you've got an ENDURANCE ride in thee weeks! So, still all fluffed up from my great trip to Virginia, I tacked the boy up, and headed down Leland's. Warmed him up for the first quarter mile (driveway) then hitched him into a canter and cantered the 1.25 miles to the end of Leland's. Was planning on cantering back but spirit was pretty bossy so I thought I'd walk/trot him to remind him who is boss and there was a problem....it wasnt getting dark enough for the helmet light to be effective! here I was all pumped up, and...nothing. So, we cantered back to the trees a few times. Finally about the third time back, spirit noticed the light! I had read that helmet lights can scare a horse until they get used to them, and oh yeah the books are right. He went from a canter into a stop that would do a reining horse proud. Holy mackeral. All my bluster was gone. He was scared and I was scared. He made it through all the scary things created by the lights ( dog eyeballs being the hardest for him to handle) and so did I. Next time it will be a little easier, it always is. Tonight we survived. Tonight we got one step closer to being a real endurance team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items