Sunday, September 9, 2012

6 weeks to ENDURANCE

That's Troy Beazley on Wind with Lynn and Spirit - I think he may be smiling too...30 miles and the boys did another 15 the next day!

Six weeks? How did that happen? This is soooo exciting! 50 miles (yikes!) of riding! Are the boy and I ready? Well, let's take stock. We've just finished amigos 30 mile CTR so I have something to use for measuring. I've been doing core exercises and it is helping me stay balanced on my horse (I tend to get off center and forward as I get tired). I have not been jogging since the warm weather and think this did not help overall stamina/ wind....need to get back at this and six weeks of jogging will help. I am about 3 pounds heavier than I was hoping...we will see what the next six weeks does here.

What about Spirit? Well as you can see from the picture above he is looking darn good after a 30 mile ride. We've been doing arena work...lateral bending, working off his back end etc (hmm "core" work for the horse) and it did help. He placed 4th in a field of about 30 of the most fit horses I've ever competed with. ( obviously we are not the only team gearing up for the 50!).

ENDURANCE RUN GOALS. (here we go..I'm writing them down..)

Goal 1 .... To finish is to win. I agree.....sort of. It is a major accomplishment and I intend to continue to work to get there, but I also have goal 2

Goal 2......(it's a lofty one for me and my good ol Morgan/ quarter horse), .....to be in the top 5!!!

Goal 3. Stretch goal.... To be in the top 3. It's a long, long shot ( I will talk about the amazing equine athletes planning to enter this run as the date gets closer and you will understand I am talking s.t.r.e.t.c.h goal!!) but I want to be totally honest here and I love to push myself so I'm going to do my best, and dream of great things, odds be damned!

I'm going to chronicle this journey over the next six weeks so I have something to look back on. I am happy to share with my "competitors" because anyone crazy enough to do this is more a "kindred spirit" than a competitor and because, really the only true competitor I have is myself....did I do enough to get my boy where he needs to be to achieve our goals on October 20th (yikes, I get heart palpitations every time I write that date)

Feel free to follow the experience if you are interested. There is more information about the ride on the blog under "NS Autumn Run"

PS. Things I've thought about recently
-need to know more about "endurance" it is not the same rules as Limited Distance AERC website will help with this
- never rode in the dark before. Which means my horse has never been exposed to a flashlight on my forehead or glow sticks.

3 comments:

  1. Troy's name got cut off the pic and I can't figure out how to edit the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is OK - Wind did all the work anyway ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't figure it out either, Lynn. Just added another caption below it. Never did get the blog back to how we liked it... Will try another time.

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items