Friday, July 18, 2014

Tidal Treasures Crew- Fryeburg, Maine- Questions and Answers- SHELLEY

We thought it would be fun for the Tidal Treasures Crew to answer a few questions about our trip to Fryeburg, Maine.  Keep an eye out in the weeks to come for the others to post their answers!  Since it was my bright idea, I will go first.


1.  Someone interesting you met.

We had the pleasure of meeting so many wonderful people, but I would have to say meeting Garnet Gallant was a definite highlight for me.  Garnet has so much knowledge to draw from, that it was a privilege to sit and listen to him talk about his rides and experiences. Garnet rode each of the 5 days in Fryeburg, winning 1st place in all but one, and Best Condition for all of them. It was quite inspiring to watch him heading out each day. He was very kind in sharing with us some of the things he does on ride days, and one afternoon he even came over and shared his knowledge about saddle fittings, and gave us a hands on session with our saddles and Lynn's horse, Paris, and then Kathleen's horse, Ali. 
 I very much enjoyed and appreciated that he took the time to come and visit us, making sure we each had a turn feeling and looking for ourselves, so that we all knew first hand what he was talking about with the horses and saddles.  He said that we just had a "touchy feely session with Garnet!"  It was a wonderful afternoon, and I was very happy to have met and spent that time with Garnet.

Garnet taking a look at Kathleen's saddle.
 

Moving from looking at the saddle to the pad and saddle.
Todd, Shelley, Ali, Kathleen and Garnet
Ali, Kathleen, Garnet, Shelley and Lynn
 
2. Something awesome you learned, or advice you were given.

ICE!!!  Riding Spirit in temperatures and humidity like we had while in Maine, proved to be challenging for us both.  I was worried about him pulsing down at the holds because of the heat, and because back here in Nova Scotia, we had no real heat prior to our trip to train in. We came into our first hold with lots of water and sponges available, and right away someone came over to us and asked if we used ice for cooling the horses down. I for one, had never heard of using ice, but looking around, I noticed others obviously had, and more than one person asked us if we were using ice to make sure we knew about that handy tip. Needless to say, we got ice, and I used it on Spirit, and cooling him down was quicker and easier than I remember it being with just water and sponges. So learning about using ice to help cool down- I thought that was AWESOME!!! (and Spirit liked it too)
Ice!!! We found a deal and stocked up-33

3. Something funny that happened.

We had so many laughs on this trip!  One funny moment for me though, was on the 50 mile ride day.  Lynn and I were into our 2nd loop ( so approx. 30 miles into the ride). We were going through a wooded trail, it was overcast and darker in the woods, oh and it was raining, pouring at times.  I was in the lead, and had been following ribbons and hoof prints.  We started up a steeper slope, and I remember saying to Lynn, "Wow, this is really grown in!"  But I could see hoof prints, so we continued on.  The brush and limbs were thick around and ahead of us. All of a sudden I saw the bushes swaying and moving frantically in front of me, and then before I knew it, from out of them came 2 horses and their riders!  Lynn hollered, "Stop, stop, stop!"  because we were in a bad spot, Spirit had spun around, and I had already come off once earlier in the day.  They hollered back, " Sorry, sorry, sorry!"  with a look of shock that matched ours.  That for some reason struck me so funny as the day went on and I kept thinking back on it- it turns out, we had all missed a ribbon, but we turned and found our way together.  Lynn and I were soaked and disheveled with branches and pine needles and bits and pieces of leaves sticking to us, but the riders who emerged from the bushes looked so crisp and clean!  I guess maybe you had to be there, but the looks of shock, the moving bushes, the mess we were in- it just struck me funny!

Lynn and I following our new friends who emerged from the bushes!
 
One other funny thing- on the morning we were crewing for Troy and Tammy, I had my alarm set for 4:30AM.  It went off and I jumped up and got dressed, and noticed Todd still sleeping (he was supposed to get up and do breakfast before Tammy and Troy vetted in). I nudged him disgusted he wasn't taking his crew duties as seriously as I was, and he said, "Well what time is it?" I told him it was 4:30am, and that I was surprised I didn't hear anyone else up yet. He noticed it was still dark, and asked if I had changed the time on my IPOD when we crossed the border- OOOPPPS!!! It was only 3:30am- oh dear, sorry Todd!
 

4. Something that surprised you.

I think I was surprised at how comfortable and at ease I felt in general, but more so on my ride days. I mean, here I am in FRYEBURG MAINE!! I was getting ready to ride my first AERC ride, and I really felt great. The whole set up had such a nice feeling to it.  The vetting in was done so quickly and efficiently, everyone was quick to step in and offer advice or a helping hand if it was needed. I loved the atmosphere and the people, and because I was able to feel so comfortable, I was able to take in more, and to fully enjoy the whole experience without nerves getting in the way- for me that is a pleasant surprise!


Taking a selfie BEFORE the ride starts- proof I am comfortable and relaxed. Normally I wouldn't know where the camera was, who was behind it, and I would not pause long enough to smile for a pic, let alone take one,  because I am busy, and nervous, and need to keep moving!  I scooted around and took pics of lots of stuff that morning.

I was also surprised by how well I functioned and felt going on little sleep.  The days started early, and were busy and long, but it never really caught up to me until we got home. We packed what felt like 2 days into 1 with those 4:30am starts.
Something that might surprise you...
How much stuff can be packed into one horse trailer!!!


5. Something you learned about yourself.

I learned a lot about myself on this trip.  I found out that heat and humidity are a challenge to me, and that when I think I am drinking enough, I am not- DRINK MORE!  I learned that riding in the pouring rain isn't as bad as it sounds, and that water coming off the trees is my natural sponging, and was refreshing on a 50 mile ride.  I also learned that nearing the end of a 50 mile ride, the water becomes cooler and less refreshing-brrr. I learned that my hands can wrinkle and become pruney in ways I did not know possible,  and that plowing through branches and bushes with your face, only hurts sometimes, and not others- why is that I wonder? I learned that travelling with 7 people and 6 horses takes patience and understanding, but can be done safely and enjoyably. I learned that there are good people in this world ready to help and lend a hand in situations like a flat tire on the I95, or when you drop your saddle at half way. The learning experiences I had on this trip really are endless, and have and will shape me as a rider and person, and for that, I am grateful!

6. Something you would like to forget or found challenging.

Hmmm- I think I would like to forget the feeling I had following our completing the 50 mile ride- Just wait, I need to set it up for you, because finishing the ride, and the experience of the day is something I will not forget, nor do I want to.

So we had ridden all day in rain, and when it wasn't raining, it still poured off the trees and onto us. Rain from the trees was actually running off the front of my helmet like someone was dumping cups of water over my head, and drops of water were hanging off my eye lashes that I had to keep shaking away. 

We came in to finish the 50 mile ride ( a long and wet day for everyone, including our awesome crew- Todd and Troy), and even the 'dry' coat that Todd had waiting for me at the end was wet (thank you Todd- I appreciated the thought), and so Troy offered me his dry rain coat. By the time we had our final vet in and trot out, I was soaked through and chilled. I walked to our tent to find something dry and warm of my own to put on, and I was shocked, discouraged really, to see that everything inside had gotten wet, and that the ceiling was hanging in thousands of water droplets just waiting, taunting me actually as they hung ready to fall.  

At our half way break, I had taken our flat, to be thrown in the garbage, air mattresses, and covered what I could inside our tent,  in an effort to keep essentials dry, but our beds were soaked, the floors were puddles, and everything was damp. I laid briefly on the wet, half flat air mattress that was to be my place of rest after a looong day and 50 miles, and my tired, wet and cold body briefly wished for the comforts of home.

 Tired, chilled and wet, in a tent that was not offering me anything I needed to feel better. I felt so discouraged, but I took a deep breathe and thought back on the wonderful moments from the day, and the overall experience and accomplishment of having finished a 50 mile ride in challenging conditions. So I stood up, gathered some things and went for a long hot shower (oh how thankful I was for those showers!)

We checked into a Motel for the next 2 nights ( I love the Jockey Cap!) while everything dried out, so I was again thankful to have had that option, because otherwise I think I would have broken right down and cried!
-Home Sweet Home-
Drying the out the tent.
 
7. Something you would do differently next time.

One thing I would do differently- I would pack differently!  I had sweaters and pants I never wore ( I didn't need them!), and I quickly ran out of shorts and tanks and t-shirts- Nova Scotia weather did not in anyway prepare me for Fryeburg or packing enough of the proper clothing.  I even chuckle as I think about being disappointed that I had forgotten to pack a warm hat for those "chilly" evenings I expected, but Lynn quickly assured me there were plenty to go around. I would also pack more bug spray and sun screen (but not the spray on sun screen- it doesn't seem to work well for me).

8. Favorite experience or spot on the trail.

I loved the first, and last part of the trail, depending on which way you were going. It was so beautiful,  tall pines, soft footing, the sweet smell of the woods, and the sun peeked through in the spots it could, it was truly beautiful.


On the first day we rode our 25 mile LD, Lynn and I met up with Troy and Kathleen along the trail.  We had started out separately thinking it would be easier - I think Troy and I both agreed that the ride was not exactly easy, as the strength of Wind and Spirit wanting to go, and holding them back, could quickly tire you, and so we all ended up riding the last few miles together.  We got to trot through this beautiful part of the trail as we headed back to our half way. It was a moment that I really enjoyed, and sharing it with the others, knowing they were right behind me getting to see it and ride it, and knowing they were loving it too, it was awesome! Those are the moments that make the hard stuff all worth it! ( I knew Todd who was riding with Pam, would also get to see and ride this, and that made me happy too). That stretch was my favorite part of the trail, although I have to say that the whole ride was beautiful and there were so many spots that were just incredible to ride.  I loved seeing the mountains rise up behind the fields we got to ride around, and going down to the river to cool off. The beauty of trails did not escape me, and I tried very hard to soak it all in! 
 
9.  Most memorable moment(s) / experience(s).

Packed and ready to get going- that was an exciting moment after all the planning, work, saving and preparation it took to get to this point!

Arriving- It was so exciting to FINALLY be here!!

The beautiful Saco River- what an experience to ride over it ( too high to ride through it this year), and to have it to cool down in, on those HOT and humid days.
 
 Riding my first AERC ride, with Spirit, on Canada Day!

Seeing Todd complete his first LD ride!
 

Being Pit Crew for Tammy and Troy- you know watching friends achieve goals and seeing the smile on their faces, is so rewarding! This was a special day that I was so happy to be part of!
 

Eating lobster with nutcrackers and plastic cutlery!
 
Preparing to ride 50 Miles on the 4th of July in the USA!!

Seeing Kathleen experience 2 wonderful rides - one with Aziim, under the guidance of Troy and Wind, and the second on her boy, Ali, along with Pam and Tiki! ( and the smiles that followed!)
 
Finishing the 50 with Lynn by my side-
 
 Meeting some wonderful new friends!
Art (Vet), Todd, Lynn, Kathleen, Shelley, Lynn and Tom (Hosts)
 

Hiking up the Jockey Cap trail, and the beautiful view at the top!
 

Heading home after a week to remember!

Arriving home safely-
This is our  group "After" picture by the way-
We were all too tired and just wanted to get home to our beds!
 
Thank you fellow Tidal Treasures Crew members for a week full of memories and experiences I will never forget! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items