Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fryeburg Maine - Pam's Answers


A Snapshot of our Maine Trip:

 1. A memorable moment/ experience. Tiki and I did not go out for our second loop on our first 25 mile LD.  I was having tack issues and the minutes were ticking by. I finally told Todd (whom I had ridden the first half of the ride with) to go on without me - and he did. Just like that. No fuss, no muss. Not only was this Todd’s first LD, it was the first time he had ridden alone for any extended distance. He trusted his horse, and he trusted himself - so he went. He really inspired me – I hope that when my turn comes “to go on”, I will do it just like him.

2. Someone interesting you met. I had the chance to chat with Garnet Gallant. Loved it. Of course I was totally unprepared and had no life altering questions for him – but it was great to have the chance to talk with someone who has so much experience with endurance riding.

3. Something awesome you learned. That true friends are gold. Let’s face it – everybody gets testy when you are hot, tired, and stressed. But when the feelings and wellbeing of others are put before your own – no matter where your headspace is – that is true friendship, and we have that in spades.

4. Something you did not expect. I did not expect the work to be never-ending. There was always something that needed to be done. The only time I sat down was at supper time ... and sometimes at the ride meetings.

5. Something funny that happened. This trip to Maine was not only our first time at an AERC ride, it was the first time for all of our horses. The first night, we tucked them all in stalls – and a row of 6 heads were constantly hanging out over the Dutch doors – taking in all of the sights and sounds. Every once and a while, they would all look at each other – as if to say – Man! Did you see THAT!! (I don’t think they got a wink of sleep). By the end of the week - They all had their heads down in their hay piles, and life outside when on – unobserved.

6. Something you learned about yourself. I SO have to learn to RELAX!

7. Something you would like to forget. I would really like to forget my first shower. (NO hot water).  It was FREEZING COLD – not enjoyable. At that point I was really wishing I had packed my cowboy shower.

8. Something you would do differently next time. I would try to give my horse enough room to properly roll in his temporary paddock – he caught his hoof in the electric fencing – twice.

9. Favorite experience or spot on the trail. We (Tiki & I) were out on our first 25 mile ride with Todd & Ali. Ali leads because Tiki is young and inexperienced, and when Tiki leads, he travels very slowly. We came off a short stretch of road onto “the potato fields” and onto a beautiful, wide, dirt road which wrapped along the outskirts of the fields. Tiki decides that Ali wasn’t going fast enough, so he casually comes up along side of him and passes him – no coxing from me! Tiki opens up into this awesome 11 mph extended trot – and just flies down the road. He is nice and smooth and rhythmic, and you can tell he is really enjoying himself! Ah – a glimpse of what will be!

10. Something you found challenging. Even I found the heat challenging this time around – and I LOVE the HEAT! WOW! It was smoking hot.

11. A piece of advice you got. Keep your horse wet. If he doesn’t have to sweat to keep cool – he won’t lose electrolytes and it will be easier to keep him hydrated. I knew it was important to pour water on your horse to cool him – I just never connected it to the electrolyte/hydration equation before.

12. Closing comment- Maine was a learning experience beyond compare. It was wonderful to “rub elbows” with some wonderfully talented endurance people (and their equines), who went out of their way to make you feel welcomed and included. For me, hopefully it is just the start for Tiki and I – for we have many trails yet to travel down, and many places to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items