Saturday, January 26, 2013

Willow and Her Sled

Moving manure is not the easiest aspect of horsekeeping. One day while pushing the wheelbarrow through snow I caught a glimpse of Mister & Willow munching their hay and smiling at me. Hmmmph, I thought - YOU guys should be moving this manure, not me.
I picked Willow 'cause she tends to get fat and I thought she might like it.
Hahahahaha! She did NOT like it, I wish I had video but it was waaay too exciting to try and work a camera. It was one of the first really cold days, it was almost dark and there were pulp trucks and tractors still driving nearby. She was UP! She jumped, she blew, she ran, she tossed her head and held her tail waaay up like a full-blooded Arabian. And I had no treats, just some giggles and laughs and pats when she was calm. We played with the sled for a half hour or so and called it a day.
For the next "session" I chose a better day - warmer than it had been, not windy - and a better TIME of day - in the early afternoon when she was all full & sleepy & happy.
I don't know if she long-lines or not and that's where I likely should have started but I'm guessing she's done that with Lynn and I do NOT know how. But I DO know that while riding her we can pull a log - behind her and even holding the rope so it crosses over her rump, and in front of her while she's backing away - so I asked Marie to help us.
First, I pulled the sled as I walked beside them, talking and feeding treats as she handled each new angle. Then I hooked a leadline to the sled so Marie could hold it, the sled bumping along behind them again changing directions so Willow could see it behind her in different places. She did just fine!
There were still distractions: the ground is hard with icy patches, Mister had hay in the barn so she was missing a meal and Leland had his tractor going just out of sight but nearby which made loud "POP!!"s and rumbles. These noises plus the sight and sound of the sled caused Mister to scramble loudly in the barn and SHOOT out into the paddock to see what he could see.
Didn't bother Willow. She was lovely. Lovely, lovely, lovely. We even got out a bale of hay for her to feel some weight on the sled. I really wanted to get on but thought the 35lb bale of hay was a kinder ask just now!
Willow and the Sled - Part one
Willow and the Sled - Part two
And then Mister was Ok with it all, even helping me with the hay:
Mister's Weight Control Program
An excellent horsey day, much progress made and fun, fun, fun!!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Carrilee and Marie! It looks like alot of training went on "behind the scenes". I knew you could do it if you put your minds to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam! It's been fun and Willow is so smart, I think she likes "playing".

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items