Saturday, November 17, 2012

Nova Scotia's Autumn Run. LOOP 2

Loop 2 .... The Orange Loop

Have been having computer trouble since my last blog. Think it is sorted out now...

Loop 2 took us through a narrow trail and then into a ravine. My plan (about to be altered for the 100th time) was to get off Spirit, and walk beside him down the ravine to save any strain on his legs, walk through the river, up the other side and them get back on Spirit, and then catch up on the other side. I told Betty and Susan this but when we got there Betty said "Lynn this is nothing" and she was right, and I really didn't want to deal with wet feet, so I stayed on. Spirit was fine and my feet stayed dry.

The next five to seven miles (don't remember distances anymore) were in a remote area on really good roads. We cantered, took turns sharing the lead. Sometimes we "flew" and other times we just cantered. Anytime Spirit started to get too close to the horse in front, I just put him in the lead for a while. We often rode 2 abreast and I the three riders really bonded over this stretch of road.

At one point we were cantering three abreast. I was in the middle and hollered out ( totally used to hollering to each other at this point so that we could hear over all the jingling bells) LADIES, IS THERE ANYWHERE ELSE YOU WOULD RATHER BE THAN RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW?". I looked over at them. It is a beautiful feeling when three people recognize, at the same time, the wonder within a moment. It is a great feeling and I will hold onto it in my heart for a long time.

The truth is, it was Pat Ritcy who first said those exact words to me once during one of the Mud Run rides and I've never forgotten it.

I got Betty and Susan to ride side-by-side so I could take some video of them, but it didn't work (total technical malfunction day) Instead of video, the go pro took pictures and I will try to post one here. Take a look at the back of Susan's saddle and you can see the row of sleigh bells.

There are a few additional small stories associated with this loop but in the interst of getting this story through loop 2 and into the story of the finish (loop 3), iam going to tuck those little stories away for another time.

As we were finishing loop 2 and coming into the hold, not one of us had a functioning heart rate monitor and although we were all three saying that we should slow down and that the horses "will not come down as fast this time" not one amongst us would cave in and walk, so we trotted into the second hold, similar to the first!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items