Thursday, August 16, 2012

Aziim - Saucy Pants

I think horses can have a similar effect on women that men do. Their good looks, charm and energy can distract a woman from seeing their misbehavior sometimes. Today the gentleman, Aziim, was actually saucy and was I surprised! and caught off-guard! I must have been "letting him get away" with something sometimes lately but didn't notice.
Today the plan was to go with Shelly/Spirit, Kathleen/Caddy and Marie/Willow - likely up & down the driveway. Change of plans.
I was slow to get him ready and walked the driveway with Lynn while waiting for them to get back from a ride up Leland's road (as far as they could get before the flies got'em).
He was a bit "up" (a little high steppin' and a slight blowing) but listening as he usually does: slowed his pace when I asked and he moved over onto the grass when his friends came back so we could turn around and follow them down. None of this is new, sometimes a guy just feels a bit "up" and I've been getting used to it.
Then I started to get the feeling that he was feeling saucy. I was slightly confused. Full of energy, Ok. Shy at something strange, Ok. But saucy? Aziim?
The details are sketchy for me but there was some head snaking and one good toss (that one got a yell, kick and circle), one ugly trot and lots of walking and standing still. I felt like I was hanging in until the acting up of another horse ended my session. I saw a buck and I was out of that saddle before that horse's hind feet hit the ground. My nerves could take no more. Leading while he was dancing until the others finished.
Put him in a stall, had a bite to eat and marched back down to get him - caveson, lunge line, helmet, gloves & raincoat in hand. Lunged and backed and took advice from Lynn and lunged and walked and sweated and turned red and ran and walked and talked and led while barking commands. Whew!
Just before I turned him loose in his pasture, I said - "See ya tomorrow, buddy."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items