Thursday, March 21, 2013

Revelling and Reviewing

Spring is finally here, so our first winter with Mister and Willow is over - with all of us alive and happy!
I've learned some things:
1. Old horses can learn new tricks: they both back up now before I put their feed down instead of crowding me while I yell ineffectively.  And they stay out of the barn until I'm finished cleaning up, topping up water and putting out hay - until I INVITE them in when I'm ready, and I take my time now. Thanks to Mister for the not-so-subtle hint that I needed to step up my "I own all this space - not you". He almost got me.
2. Willow in heat can be a crazy-@$$, scary, thousand pound nightmare. And just a few days later, perfect as pecan pie. My, my, my.
3. I LOVE cleaning up after them. I expected that to wear off by now, but it hasn't. I was frazzled about this at first, especially when the weather was wonderful for riding. I was spending so much time cleaning, measuring, feeding, watering, picking feet, moving hay, farrier appointments, vet appointment, and very occasional grooming that I didn't have nearly as much time as I did last year for RIDING! Riding is why is wanted a horse. Riding! I've just done the bare minimum, really, so she wasn't completely unridden over the winter. Not at all feeling pressure about that anymore since I realized I've just been revelling in all these activities and I'm Ok with that for now.
4. I LOVE "Spring Ahead" reminders to get that extra hour of daylight back.
5. I DO miss my partners in crime at Tidal Treasures as I have only been there for the farrier days and Ginger evenings. Much thanks to Sebastian, Ginger, Dylan and Leon!
6. I've learned that Willow is in much better shape than I gave her credit for. I worried during my 15 mile ride last October about how much trotting she could do. After watching her trot off and on for hours in knee-deep mud during one mare-in-heat crazy afternoon that she can trot MUCH longer than I can so I should RELAX. I believe I was given that advice already by TT crew - I will heed it this season!! I'm still a bit annoyed at her for grinding up that much pasture.
7. Willow can take good care of herself - lesson learned on the same M-I-H afternoon. She trotted just so long, then rested. Trotted. Rested. Trotted. Rested. Hmmmm. Got it.
8. I can walk up to Willow while she's laying down and give her a nice long scrub. Not so sure that one's so important, I just like it.
9. Feeding too much hay just means I'll be carting it out to the compost pile for Willow to munch on days/weeks later. Give just enough and spread it around outside if at ALL possible!
10. I LOVE watching them. Mister is boss of Willow except for a few days a month. I'm betting I now know which days. And why, for the rest of the month he seems to give her NO slack!
Thanks for the lessons, Willow and Mister - I'm took notes!!

2 comments:

  1. Re No. 8...just watch how quickly a horse will stand up when someone they don't know or don't trust approaches them in that position and you will know how important that is. Some may disagree, but to me, it is part of the measure of the bond Wind and I share when he allows me to approach him when he is in such a vulnerable position, kneel down beside him and have him fall back asleep making those wonderful harumph noises as I pet him, totally comfortable in my presence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Tammy! It is kinda special...

    ReplyDelete

Sponsors for the Autumn Run 2012

Tidal Treasures Stables, along with Lucy and Elwood, are grateful for the generous sponsorship from the following and we encourage ACTRA riders and family to support them:

Say it with Stitches www.sayitwithstitches.ca

The Distance Depot www.thedistancedepot.com

Taylored Tack www.tayloredtack.com

Barn Braids http://custombarnbraids.webs.com/

Fredie's Fantastic Fish House http://www.frediesfantasticfish.com/

Fiske’s Animal Care Products www.fiskes.ca

Falmouth Farm Market donated a 50lb bag of carrots

Bits and Bridles Tack shop donated a 40lb bag of HF/HFiber

Pam Thornton made a financial contribution

Sherry Brooks donated Distance Depot items